Friday, July 1, 2011

Finally the Weekend!

Well.. that placement test was kind of difficult, but I was placed in a level that will transfer my 6 credits! Our test though was not as difficult as the cultural language program that some of the students in my group are taking. We finished about 10:30 and went and found a tapas place. I ordered a coke and we got free tapas. The first one was tuna with a sauce on bread and the second one was like a pot roast type thing with a red sauce on top, it was pretty good! At the end of our little snack she brought out free dessert shots like a strawberry tasting even though it was 11:30 in the morning ha. I was telling my roommate and Liz today that when I get home I will be so use to just ordering drinks that I might accidentally sit down at a restaurant and ask for a beer or wine and then they will ask for my I.D. and I will be like whoops! just spent a whole month not even questioning how old I am when I order drinks. At 1:00 we had an academics meeting on changing classes and the level we were placed in today. After that, my roommate and I headed home and ate lunch. We had chicken, fries, salad, and of course bread! It was really yummy! As soon as lunch was over we hit our beds, we were pretty tired and knew we needed to nap if we end up going out tonight. We woke up around 4:45 to meet our group to go tour the Catholic Cathedral in Granada that holds the tombstones of King Fernando and Queen Isabelle. It was so beautiful! Pictures are posted below. They hold Catholic Mass there on Sundays, even though I am not Catholic, I think it would be cool to attend the mass to just say I got to! I did go to a Catholic high school so I know how it all works. We actually got to see the caskets of the King and Queen, it was really interesting! After the tour we came back home to check and see if our schedules for classes were up. I have a pretty good schedule, Monday through Friday from 9:00-1:00 and then I am done. Some other students' are pretty spread out so hopefully this will be a good thing that I go ahead and get it all over with. We then got called to dinner, Ellie made a dish with tuna, potatoes, onions, egg, tomato, and black olives. I am not a tuna person by all means but this was actually pretty good! I am pretty proud of myself for trying these things and cleaning my plate, hopefully it will carry over into the United States when I get back.

As for tonight, it is finally the weekend and so we are all meeting at 11:00 at the park to go get drinks that come with free tapas, then going to the Chupitaria which is kind of like a shot bar type thing, and then at about 2:00 heading to the discotecas. This is my first time out on the town in Granada, I am sure it will be fun! They have dress codes for the discotecas and if you are not dressed up enough they won't let you in. Will keep you posted on how everything is here compared to Madrid. Tomorrow we are taking a bus to the beach just 40 minutes south of Granada and then returning for the night. Then on Sunday, we plan to hike the Sierra Nevadas, this should be interesting ha, but I know I will regret it if I don't experience something like this again. My weekends are pretty booked from now on, we are going to Sevilla next Saturday and Sunday. Then we have narrowed our next free weekend down to go to Ireland, somewhere in Italy, France like Nice, or Portugal. Then the final weekend I am here, we are going to Nerja for the day and then coming back so we can start studying for finals. I feel like it is going to FLY by!

For a quick ending, Heather and I keep mentioning the things we miss about the United States so here is a list of what we have come up with so far (mostly food):
-Family
-Friends
-Peanut butter
-Chocolate chip cookies
-Cake
-Air conditioning
-Water being free
-Chick Fil-a
-Our pets (everyone walks their dogs around Granada and most of the time without a leash on and the dogs just follow the owners)
      -Dad... would you kill me if I came home from Spain with a new pet? : )
Those are all I can think of as my top ones that I miss, but I am having a great time! So glad I get to experience this

the Cathedral






outside of the Cathedral

so beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment